Monday, March 8, 2010

Too Truthful to be True

I finished my "work day" around 430 in the afternoon and then headed to the movie house near our subdivision. While I was at the window, I had to give it a thought whether I'd watch a local film, Alice in Wonderland or The Fourth Kind.

After I asked the teller if she's done watching all the "Now Showing" films I decided to see the Fourth Kind. I got in middle of the show so I thought I'd sleep then wake up and start from the beginning but it was not meant to be. I watched and intently looked for flaws and fakes but I guess I've been away too long from the "subject" that I thought the film was for real.

Reaching the end of the story I thought it was real or at least based on actual cases studied which is what the marketing come on tried to tell us.

But reading the reviews here by Above Top Secret and Wikipedia, I was wrong. This film is, was a mock-documentary like The Blair Witch Project and Paranormal Activity

In one scene, Dr. Tyler's colleague said "We can no longer differentiate what's real from fiction..."

Anyways, here is part of a review from Examiner.com:

"In the movie "The Fourth Kind," Milla Jovovich plays Dr. Abigail Tyler, the Nome, Alaska, psychiatrist who stumbles upon the 'alien abduction' link between her patients, during clinical hypnotherapy sessions. If you search for Dr. Abigail Tyler, Nome Alaska, a website called "Alaska Psychiatry Journal" provides a "biography" of Dr. Tyler with "related articles" on the topics of sleep disorders, emotional issues, hypnotherapy and regression therapy. However, the website does not have a homepage or contact information. The website was registered on GoDaddy in August 2009. A real online-medical publication would have such information, so this leads to the conclusion that the website is a viral marketing ploy, much like the promotion for the upcoming "2012" movie and the  for "Institute for Human Continuity." Sorry to burst your bubble, but this doesn't rule out that Dr. Tyler 'could' have been based on a 'real' doctor; but if there were, the true account would have made for a much more interesting find. "
Fake it is but how the director and the producers did it is impressive, too truthful to be true indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Free Internet Chess Server

FICS: Free Internet Chess Server