Friday, June 5, 2009

Interview with GM Bong Villamayor

Some posts ago, I mentioned about giving an email interview with a GM that I believe is the only one qualified and certified Filipino to head the DEPED-NCFP Chess in the Schools Program. With those two precious GM initials he bears on his name, his experience and knowledge of the teaching-learning process/environment (C'mon my dear readers, there's more than meets the eye in the world of education as you know it) and his firm but approachable demeanor makes him D' Mayor of Philippine Scholastic chess scene.



You can call him the Dean but he's not mean so why the Dean? You can call him the Guru but is he here to give us Mantras? You and I can call him any names but don't forget the fact that I call him D' Mayor.



So let's start the fun with The Mayor, GM Bong Villamayor.



In the beginning...



Tell us about your demographics please.



I was born on the 4th of May 1967 in Mauban, QUEZON. I have three kids and married. I am a believer of the Roman Catholic Faith. I had my basic education (elementary and high school) at the Aquinas School of San Juan and had my college education at the University of Santo Tomas (1983-1986) and Far Eastern University (1987-1990).



Much has been written about your professional chess career. You are one of the first few grandmasters in the Philippines, the fourth to be exact but may I ask you who introduced you into the game? Who taught you how to play chess?



I was taught by my mother. Her name was Elena.



Oh I see! Can you elaborate more on this? What was the story behind this? Lots of reasons for an adult to teach a child the game of chess, some are motivated because they just want to see their soon-to-be-chess-student suffer more at their hands while others are moved to teach the game because they saw something brilliant in the child.





She taught me when I was four years old. The story goes as something like this: I accidentally opened a closet and a small chess set fell, scattering the pieces on the floor; I looked at the pieces in wonder and then fell in love with the shapes and sizes. I asked my mom what was it and she told me it was a game. And from there she asked me if I wanted to learn and play it.



"My brother bought me my first two books, Capablanca's Chess Fundamentals & Botnivik's 100 Selected games"



So at four years old you learned how to play chess. You learned it at a very young age then. Do you remember the first tournament you played in?



After I learned the game, it was difficult for me to find opponents to play with since my mom was busy and my brother was studying medicine and had no time to bring me anywhere. I was always alone playing by myself at home. My family was more career oriented, they did not have time for games or sports. My only consolation was whenever there were family reunions during Christmas or New Year; I was able to play with some of my cousins or uncles the whole day until evening. From there my interest shot up and wanted to learn more.



After that, my brother bought me my first two books (Capablanca's Chess Fundamentals & Botnivik's 100 Selected games); I was nine years old then.



At ten years old, I was old enough to go around the neighborhood going to barber shops, markets and friends to play chess and have been beating them. So eventually my brother accompanied me to my first event in 1978 and I was eleven years old then. The Philippine National Chess Club (PNCC) in Cubao Quezon City organized a Kiddies event where I placed solo second behind a certain Rudolfo Tan. It was my first official Open Kiddies event (U-12).



Then shortly was the Metrobank National Kiddies Championships (U-12). The following month (summertime) I again tied for 2nd and if remember it right, Enrico Sevillano was 1st. A lot of my contemporaries were there: Rogelio Barnecilla was there too. It was organized by Jess Torre, the brother of GM Eugene Torre.





The Path of the Masters...



"since high school, my dream was to become a GM. Of course it was difficult since there very little opportunities to play in events and my family were not favorable to this so called time wasting board game"



Logic would tell all of us, if applied at all, that you represented the school you went to during this time. Were you a school varsity or chess player?



In elementary (Grade 6) and High School (1ST to 4TH year), I played in a small league called PAYA, Philippine Athletic Youth Association Team Chess. College was in UST until 1986 and was able to contribute 3 UAAP chess titles and 2 National Inter-Collegiate Meets championships.



Also, I studied in FEU until 1990, helping in 1 UAAP chess title, 2 National Collegiate Meets. In all team events I played on board one.



There are a few Filipino chess professionals, did you intend to become one?



Yes! During that time since high school, my dream was to become a GM. Of course it was difficult since there very little opportunities to play in events and my family were not favorable to this so called time wasting board game.



So this leads us now into your achievements and feats that led you to the path of professional chess career, your grandmaster title. Tell us about this please.



I became a national master (NM) during the 1988 National Championship. I finished 6th out of more than 400 players. GM Eugene Torre was 1st and it was a 13 Round Swiss System. During this time, Philippine Chess Federation confers NM titles if you are in the Top 6 of the Nationals.



I got my IM title in the 1998 Elista Olympiad. It was a 1 shot title because I played 13 rounds and got the required number of points, performance and games.



Then in 2000, I got my 3rd and final GM norm in The Equitable Card GM Classic Invitational organized by Philippine Chess Society, Bobby Ang's Group.



The GM in 42 days story, can you elaborate more on this?



I was supported by the Philippine Chess Society. Starting 2000 I temporarily stopped teaching chess and trained myself for four months from January to April. By May I left the country and played in the strong Indonesian Bali Open. 24 grandmasters playing and I placed equal 1st with three grandmasters.

Next was playing in the Vietnam Asian Zonal, finishing equal first and qualifying for the World Championships but no GM result.



Right after the Zonals, they (Philippine Chess Society) gave me a chance to participate in two Vietnamese GM circuits and I was able to win both of them. Tied for 1st on my first try and solo 1st in the second event. I gained the two GM norms here then I came back to Manila and placed 3rd in the Equitable Card GM Classic Invitational. That was the 3rd and final GM result, 40 days 3 results.



I remember very well the "Blueprint for Philippine Chess Development" you wrote which I published in complete version here through The Weekender by Mr. Manny Benitez. What is the status of the program now?



This program during 2002 was not seriously considered and sad to say there were too much politics between groups during that time. But now, I think many of the suggestions are now being implemented. I hope that the major programs can come true soon. This is very possible under the NCFP leadership of Prospero Pichay Jr.





Spinning heads in Singapore, coaching and being a Filipino...



When it comes to chess teaching in Singapore, Filipinos are famous there and I believe you are the best RP has ever given Singapore in their chess development. How was work there?



It was very demanding, hectic and you are always “spinning around”. Singapore is the tops when you wish to work. It may be good pay but they will really get the best out of you and more.



How was your life there?



Well, let say no time for other things except when you are on the “lower decks”. You have to prepare and plan everything before you sleep for the next day.



The pay would have to be good for you to have stayed a number of years there?



Yes, true! Before it was not too difficult to apply since they are still ‘building up’. But now certain criteria are needed in order to be approved in one’s application.



What was it like coaching/training these Singaporeans?



Singaporeans want to be the best in their chosen field or activities but the problem is not easy to find time when you need them to do other things such as homework, training games etc.

It also depends on what level you are teaching. A trainer/coach must be creative and inventive in their approaches in training sessions (a big audience, class setting or small groups, etc.) especially if you want to make shortcuts towards their improvement and rapid development.



Whether it is a 5 year old child, a teenager to a national team member, a trainer must know what they need and should be flexible enough to adjust to the demands of the student or class. As a rule, you cannot impose your usual training formula since the cultural setting is different here: Multi-racial. And you have to be clear cut in imparting your words, diction, etc. Some chess terminologies needed to be expanded.



It is an advantage that our second language is English, Filipinos are in demand. Furthermore, our dedication and being ‘very approachable’ especially to the parents of the kids.



Onwards to a bright, new Philippine Chess...



Why did you come back in the Philippines and give up the “nice monthly” from your Singapore job?



I came back last year April 2008. Let’s say I missed playing and the tournaments are quite big and many. Also I suppose it is time to help out in the development of the youth and in schools.



Does it have something to do with the DEPED-NCFP Chess in the Schools Program?



No, this only came early this year 2009. There was nothing concrete when I first arrived.



Or a comeback in the professional chess scene?



This was one of my plans, to slowly play again and be able to qualify for the Olympiad in Dresden (GM Bong qualified for the Olympiad).



Optimism is in the air for the coming school year because of the Chess in the Schools in the Philippines, do you really believe it will provide chess the necessary development in the grassroots?



Yes because once chess is implemented in schools, awareness will grow and more kids especially in the provinces will be able to learn and play. And with the tie-up of the DEPED-NCFP, activities for the interested will increase. Respective local groups can be more motivated in doing and helping out.



Going back to your previous answer, you played mostly on your own when you were young. This is solitary chess right? Do you believe it helped in your chess development?



Yes it is. More or less it helped me explore various situations and positions, playing and anticipating the possible outcome. But of course this is somewhat child’s play.



What were the skills you gained in this exercises? Would you recommend it to your students as part of their training regimen?



Not exactly! Let’s say aside from fun, enjoying it and playing over games from newspapers. I was very young then.



Which school/university are you working for now?



No school at the moment.



A national inter-school championship is a dream of mine and I guess NCFP has for sometime been contemplating on such event. Who would you be rooting for if NCAA and UAAP Final Four Teams meet?





During my time we have the National Inter-Collegiate Championships aside from the UAAP. Maybe I’ll be rooting for UST.





In Singapore, it appears that chess development is well established and funded. Do you think we can also have the right system for a successful Philippine Chess Development Program?



Yes we can! All chess development programs of the various countries have different approaches. It all depends on the construction of the general program (short and long term) action plans, cultural setting and of course funding.



What are the pitfalls you can see ahead?



Well let’s say, if we don’t define each other’s role and they become overlapping, conflict of interest will emerge and this is not good for the whole program.



How can we professionalize the NCFP?



Not easy to answer. Since we have too many things that must be straighten up, maybe you can find some answers on the developmental plan I created in 2002, I’ll attaché it to the email I’ll send you.



"if we don’t define each other’s role and they become overlapping, conflict of interest will emerge and this is not good for the whole program."



I checked again the plan and in there you said something about financially self-sustaining activities for the NCFP that would contribute to the donations and dole-outs given to the federation. Like producing DVD’s and other publications are sure income generating projects. On this note, I bought the I bought the CD-Video of your ChesScholastics Volume 1 and in it you and Rannie Raymundo explained the basics of chess. How come this was not commercially successful?



I am not sure. When this was finished in 2004, I immediately left for abroad and I was not updated on how it will be marketed. No news afterwards. But I can still see some copies being sold.



This email interview will surely be in my record books for it took almost 1 and a half months to finish. With my personal timetable and your busy schedule, it is indeed an honor for Philippine Chess Chronicles to have you here with us. Anything you’d like to say to all your fans out there?



Kiko, first of all my gratitude for giving me this opportunity to be part of your column.



To all the readers of PCC, fans and friends may we all contribute to the development of chess not only for our country, but as a whole; whether big or small, however insignificant it is, surely we will be happy to remember that in this discipline we were able to learn something and that we can share it in our lifetime.



May you live long and prosper!





What can I say? Thank you Bong for your time spent with us here and for the future of scholastic chess in the Philippines. It is indeed an honor for me and the rest of the PCC readers to have you joined us here.



-------

Footnotes:

GM Bong Villamayor was busy with his participation in the Asian Continental Championship Cup and Subic International Open Chess Championship and has recently given a 7-day National Chess Academy-DEPEd seminar of public school teachers in Tanauan, Batangas (May 6-12), two batches of 50’s. The "Mayor" picks his best game GM Peng Xiaomin during the Asian Team Championship in Shenyang, China 1999. Now he needs to gear up for another gruelling tournament as NCFP appointed him to assist the Nat'l Age group representatives to the ASEAN Age Group Ch in Huey, Vietnam on June 6-15. There would be 24+ kids (boys and girls).



5 comments:

  1. Do you think we can also have the right system for a successful Philippine Chess Development Program?

    he just answered positively but i know in the back of his mind our program is not comparable to the degree how singaporeans teach chess.

    The philippine dep ed curriculumn will just open the consciousness of the public that it is worthwhile to play chess but i dont think the grade 3 teachers who will handle the curriculumn can effectively teach the subject.

    ReplyDelete
  2. F.A. BuenaventuraJune 9, 2009 at 4:10 AM

    Hi Tim! A little spark of light can light a dark night. To open and make aware the citizenry is one major endeavor and it all starts with one step forward, in progression.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this thought lingering long long ago -
    - How can chess be propagated in the grassroots

    In my sojourn in my and my wife’s hometown, I have at least distributed 10 chess sets free, to my relatives, friends and acquaintances. These people have the interest in this sport, but lack the capability to purchase a decent chess set…which is not a priority expense in their list.

    The more chess is propagated, the more well have of Wesley like revelations. Now, with the DepEd’s involvement, this set shortage will become acute,.

    Imagine a 50 student class, discussing chess with only 1 miniscule chess set! and in the provinces, if they are blessed to have one.
    Learning will be impeded, and interest may wane.

    NOW, HOW ABOUT THIS:

    What if the Grade 6 students, in their Vocational subject (we have this eons ago), have a project to fabricate the “Chess Pieces” abstractly – from locally available materials;

    The pieces can easily be cut from round tree branches around 25mm in diameter. From this, the knights can be curved, pawns can be a simple cylindrical shape, Bishops pointed, etc.

    A nationwide contest can be held for the design so that the pieces fabricated anywhere in the Phils should be standard in shape and size and migrating later to the Staunton standard will have a smooth sailing.

    Chess board can be assigned to the girls, which can easily be fabricated from cut cartoons and squared colored papers pasted

    Whats your say on this?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi!

    I have written a full post about this.. check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi!

    I have written a full post about this.. check it out.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Free Internet Chess Server

FICS: Free Internet Chess Server