Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Basic Checkmate Pattern: Back-Rank Mate

This week I reached my highest rating so far on ChessCube with 2065. After four weeks of downward trend, no thanks to my internet lag, I have finally recovered from losing rating points and cubits.

Here is a game I played a couple of nights ago and it ended in a Back Rank mate. Back Rank mates fall under the "Basic Checkmate Patterns" and it really is a fundamental lesson to be learned by chess players.

What is a back-rank mate?  A back-rank mate is a checkmate delivered by a rook or maybe a queen along a back rank. A back rank on a chessboard could be the squares where the rows where the King and other pieces stand at the beginning of the game. It is also called corridor mate when it is given on the edge of the board, as in the a-file or the h-file.

Watch the game below:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Free Internet Chess Server

FICS: Free Internet Chess Server