Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Chess Coaching Anonymous

Hi there!

I received an email from one of my chess yahoogroups and this guy wrote a good article about Chess Coaching... I replied to his email and asked for his approval for posting of his article here. I wish he'd reply asap favorably.

Here's a teaser:

First of all a few facts about myself: I am an International Master, an
active chess player and for the last 10 years I have been chess coach. I
wish to share some of my knowledge and even to let loose the anger I got
from so many absurdities I have heard from weak coaches, from some
students and chess books.


Still, I prefer keeping my anonymity.

My articles are addressed specially to the players with ratings up to 2300, who want to progress. These articles have all a certain structure. I welcome any feedback but I'll answer to questions when my spare time allows me to.

What to do to improve at chess?


In order to seriously and constantly improve, there are some things that
you need to do for you. So, first of all, I will write about what you need to do/know, and further on I will talk about what the training program should offer to you.

1. Goal

2. Rating

3. Games

Many people want progress and for this they buy many books A lot can be said here but I will conclude with: play, play and play more.

The next paragraph does not address to those who are fans of "online chess" exclusively.

The only games which are taken into consideration for a "real chess" player are the OTB (over-the-board) games ...

4. Training method

Another grave mistake many people do is unorganized study. It doesn't matter if you have 6 or 30 hours a week at hand for study, but how you use that time.

A chess training session should last at least 2 full hours,...

Moreover, within every training day, studying a certain material should exceed at least one hour (besides the simple tactic exercises.)

If you had 6 hours devoted to study per week, good chess training would be of 2 hours in 3 different days:...

5. Computers

The commercial products of nowadays and the different softwares are extremely harmful. The study of chess must be done with the real board in front and not on the computer with different "magical" softwares! It's almost like you would learn to play billiards on the computer. Our brain must "see" the chess board in 3D not in 2D
and, of course, it must "see" the real board and not one on the computer!

The computer is an excellent instrument and a very important one in our days but only for the following:...

6. The apportionment of the openings/strategy/ tactics/endings

7. The Study with Criticism and Analysis

As coach I am forced to own all the good books on chess, including the ones which are only said to be good. When I create a good chess material I take 5-10 books which treat that subject and I can hardly come out with 2-3 pages with good ideas and good examples.

I will be back on this thread and also on my blog from ...


A good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Free Internet Chess Server

FICS: Free Internet Chess Server