Saturday, August 31, 2013

Trese Series: Twist and Shout

Yes I read the 5 books in the Trese series created by Budjette Tan and illustrated by Kajo Baldisimo about two months ago. I was introduced into the series by one of my students last year when we were discussing Pinoy Pop Culture, particularly Filipino Komiks.

When she brought the 5 books and showed them to me, I simply nodded to show her that I do approve her reading the series but I never read it nor even touched any of it. I thought this was another thrashy-time-wasting-publication that National Bookstore was propagating by having so many stocks on display all over the Philippines.

Then I chanced upon one of our school librarian and IT guy discussing about Alexandra Trese and how almost everything in the stories are very Filipino. Something ticked and I said I should start reading Trese.

Then one Friday afternoon, the universe opened and before I knew it, I was reading Book 1 and could not even put it down. Thanks to Mr. F for lending me his 5-volume collection of the series, I managed to read it everything in one weekend.

And my daughter did the same thing, she read after me and beside me on the sofa. She would ask me which book I' have read so that she can read too. And we were in awe! Filipino mythology in twisted form that will leave the readers screaming, shouting for more.

Where's Trese Six?

Thanks Budjette and Kajo!

And today I chanced upon Rappler's interview of the creators of Alexandra Trese, Budjette and Kajo:

   

1 comment:

  1. Hi BROWN MAN :-)

    Thank you very much for the kind words!
    We're always happy to meet new readers :-)
    Great to know you and your daughter enjoyed our tours of the dark side of the city.

    You can keep up-to-date of what new with TRESE by LIKING https://www.facebook.com/TreseComics

    And you can meet and hang-out with other TRESE readers at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/179284732938/

    Many thanks!

    --budjette


    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Free Internet Chess Server

FICS: Free Internet Chess Server