Monday, July 26, 2010

Interview - Consultation: Reaching Out to Future SpEd Teachers

I miss teaching college classes!

I miss discussions about children with special needs, about rehabilitation sciences in the schools and in clinical settings. I yearn for the highs of inspiring students hanging in between teenage life and adulthood, students needing shock and awe in a world that's full of been-there-done-that attitude. I thirst for the shared moments of cerebral exchange of wits and laughter about life itself. I long for the time that I will be walking the hallways again with students hurrying to attend their classes. I so eagerly await to spend my vacant time in the university library, seated across, behind and side by side with people busy reading the newspaper and Time Magazine.  

My life from years ago sounded so optimistic and fulfilling!

Early this evening I spent more than two hours with for an interview (me, the subject) by two B.S. SpEd students from St. Scholastica's College-Manila. Let's hide them behind the names Shane and Frances. They called me up last week and asked for an interview and I gladly agreed to meet with them.

Much of the questions were standard and that any John, Jane and Joe will have an insight or two about each question. I expected these questions because I was given a copy 2 days before but the "other" questions made it all worthwhile. Our interview became a lecture and consultation between a teacher and his two disciples.

I was high, I was in the zone and I was myself again. The one who believed in the power of selfless love for the benefit of humanity. Evangelizing the truths about special education and demystifying the beliefs in the practice. We were on the same vibrations and we were freely discussing ideas, theories and concepts about teaching, Montessori approach and sensory integration. Much of these coming from my backgrounds in occupational therapy, special education and my ten years of teaching children of all abilities.

Simple topic like the three deficiencies found among children with Autism were discussed. The difference between Learning Disability and Difficulty learning as a result of special needs were delineated. The high-paying salary being a teacher, profession compared to vocation. Montessori Method was touched superficially and Sensory Integration by Dr. Jean Ayres was advocated.

I opened my past on why I am a special needs teacher now and how I've been affected by this profession like mine.  There is nothing like working with children and there is nothing like the profession of teaching.

These would-be SpEd teachers will make a difference in the lives of their would-be students but as of now all we can do is reach out and provide the need help they are asking for. I really want to go back into college teaching and help shape the next generation.

Watch out for the written output of Shane and Frances Interview!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Free Internet Chess Server

FICS: Free Internet Chess Server