Monday, October 29, 2007

Chess Coaching and Training

Hi!

For the past 6 Saturdays, I have had the chance to spend my waiting time (for Patricia's art lessons) useful!!! Yehey!

Since Joyce Canta (one of my "firsts" chess students) won the North Cavite Sports Unit Chess tournament a month ago, we have met up from 130 to almost 7 in the evening to drill on mate in one and two of the famous Laszlo Polgar Chess Puzzles. Some call it the "brick" and others the "book" but I prefer to call it "The Gift" of the Polgar Family to the world of chess.

I usually start my sessions almost 15 minutes of "homeroom/counseling" talk. Don't get me wrong with the term counseling because I really want to make sure my students are in the right frame of mind whether its a one one one or a group session. Simple questions like:

1. Did you eat your lunch?

Wanting to make sure their needs are met on the survival level. Heheheheh! Physiological needs before anything else. I remember very well some years ago, during my Foundations of Education Course in grad school, we had this very loooong discussion on the need to feed the body before the mind. A lot of issues were taken into consideration but the bottom line we came up with was "A hungry tummy is a distracted yummy!"

2. Who brought you here? Daddy? Mommy? Why?

Interestingly, thoughts of Mom and Dad gives my young students (usually elementary school level) the comforting thoughts of home and a happy family. But on the contrary, when Filipino children get the "sermon" and other nags from their folks before the session, it's a different story and a longer lite talk with them.

When this is the scenario, I make sure they watch kid-funny filns on my notebook for an additional 15 to 20 minutes plus some video games like tetris and memory game. This has never failed to lighten up my students.

3. How's school?

Most kids I have are very good in academics or very passionate about their performance in school. It helps too if I know their quarterly major examinations so I can prepare light workloads for the session.

4. Simple follow ups on assignments given the previous lesson and this is where I really get the "boink" of the session.

These kids hate assignments for chess! I don't know why but most of my students either don't have enough time or they don't simply want to do them.

After the pep talk, I usually hand in the list of task or session map for the day. Since the maximum drill phase is 30 minutes, I make sure they solve mate in one, two or three first depending on their level. This is where "The Gift" comes in.

An "eye break" is usually given for 5 minutes and then comes the review of Basic Checkmate Patterns for another 30 minutes.

A longer break is given after the first hour. They would be required to go out of the room and get some fresh air or eat their snacks. This is where I also go out and eat with them or if i need to do something else, I do it by this time.

Since Joyce is a 10 year old Grade 5 student, I match her with the High School players of the school where we are in for the moment. Interestingly, the first Saturday we had was the longest one, the high schoolers didnt want to go home without winning against Joyce. Hahahahah! We stayed until 8 in the evening.

If there is no one around, I play with my students but if there's someone else, I let my students play and I watch on the sideline. Making sure I DO NOT UTTER any word while the game is played. Reasons: Official games do not allow us to talk! Play as if you are in a tournament, train like you are in an official game. Notation is a must for them. Ironically, for my chess club in the school where I teach, they dont like to! Hay naku!

After the game, another break is given and this time we try to re-play the game and point out possible variations. Very helpful!

Lecture time come's in either after the meal break or before the meal break. Lecture time need not be so formal.

Here's a list of my books and resources:

1. Chesskids Academy (very helpful for everyone!)
2. Laszlo Polgar's Chess Books (Mate in 1, 2, 3 and Simple Endgames)
3. Complete Idiot's Guide to Playing Chess
3. Book on Tactics (forgot the author)
4. Endgame Play (forgot the author)
5. My notebook (Chessbase/Hiarcs/Chessmaster 10)

Recap of the entire session usually ends with a lot of laughing and reminders. Pick up time usually comes after this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Free Internet Chess Server

FICS: Free Internet Chess Server