Monday, July 9, 2007

Knowing oneself

Hi there!

Surprised with the post title?

Lately, I've been disappointed with the way Tristan Dandan's school is handling their chess team. Yes, he got in as a chess varsity thru academic grade evaluation (Plus 4 rate on his Math and Science Test) and chess try-out. Yes, we are thankful because he got a 100% scholarship and allowance which is a big help for someone whose parents are near-retiring age.

Come last weekend, I checked on him and asked about their practices and "teachings" given by their coach. Sadly, I got the reply "the coach is always absent" Whaaaat? and to think the inter-collegiate chess games about to begin in less than two weeks!

I was not expecting that. Not at all! And the effect on him? He started missing his 30 minutes a day for his chess after his assignments and other school related tasks. He even forgoes his weekend lessons with MCC. I felt this attitude had something to do with what his "coach has modelled or shown" among them.

Hay naku!

And a friend asked me, why dont you apply as coach in his school? Whaaaaat? I will never ever think about it. I know myself!

As I read the writings of Mr. Manny Benitez and the analysis and writings of Mr. Bobby Ang, I know where I stand. A simple analysis from them is a difficult one to comprehend for me.

Sure I play chess and I teach chess. But I do this among the beginners. I do this among the "I want to try chess for now" students. The fact that I find it hard to comprehend their analysis (not because of poor writings or analysis) but because I myself is not equipped with such deep chess knowledge. Say, the level of National Juniors.

I blog about chess, I rant and rave about my wins and losses. But I know who I am. I know chess is a game I love and will forever love. But I will never apply as a coach for a varsity team.

I guess this is where the sane and the not so sane differs. If you have the talents and know how of chess, you can be a professional chess person. A coach, trainer or an arbiter... and of course a chess journalist. If you don't, be honest about it and try to earn your living thru other means.

Mere mortal like me enjoys chess, but these chess geniuses, they ought to be pros! Ok?

Anyways, a little more than a week and I'll be getting my new laptop and I guess I'll registering at ICC by then. If ever that time comes and you see my handle name (most probably chess_kiko) please, don't shy away from playing with me. I love getting beaten, but of course if I beat you, you'll get the punishment of getting published over at the PCC! Analysis like, Ke2 is much stronger than that one but of course, because he was playing against me, he was somewhat nervous and err on that fatal move!

Hahahahaha!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Free Internet Chess Server

FICS: Free Internet Chess Server