Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Headline News for Philippine Chess

Hi guys!

I took a break from blogging for two reasons from the last post (THe BANG Opening) I've had. 1st, I wanted The BANG to be the first page of my blog to be seen when it is visited for as long as I can help it and the second is that I feel about blogging about the recent NETWORKING - GAME FIXING news that keeps on coming out. Its not that I don't agree with the NCFP's aim of cleaning up Philippine Chess. The thing is, is there really a fool-proof way of knowing, thru the scoresheets that there is really a scam?

Even the BANG (Bobby Ang), when I asked him about it, he told me "it will really be hard, because you don't know what breaks, blunders and distractions can happen before, during and after each games/rounds in a tournament"

As for my humble Philippine-chess-virginesque-uninitiated thinking, all I know is that it will really be super-difficult to prove that there is a scam. A lot of Filipino chess players will attest to its existence, but none, as of this date, have been proven. Even the Torre vs Alaan-Roca-Maga back in the early 80's incident, it was not at all proven. It was only a hush-hush thing. Even GM Eugene, when a lifetime ban was given to these Alaan-Roca-Maga "game-fixing" thing, he, GM Torre, asked for the reversal of the punishment.

That's the point. If we cannot prove it, we cannot punish anyone, but it does not mean that nobody's at fault.

About Alaan, one of the talent that Philippine Chess threw away. Why? he is such a talent. He learned chess today, a year after he is the Junior Champion and the following year he is the National Champion. Where is he now? Maybe for those who knows him, he is in a place where his mind only knows.

Too much of the hush hush! It's time for the headlines...

- Oliver Dimakiling guns for a share of the lead against pacesetter GM Le Quang Liem (8th round)

- The Whiz, Wesley So, stays in solo 2nd.

- The event, Asian Zone 3.3 Championships has been regarded as The Philippines vs Vietnam Showdown. I really hope we get to avenge our SEA Games loss to the Vietnamese.

- The Chess Journalists Association of the Philippines was formally established recently with Ed Andaya of People's Tonight as president and Gus Villanueva of the Journal Group Publications as adviser.

That's it for now. Good luck to our nation!

3 comments:

  1. since the 70's, rampant na yung game buying, according to my meralco coach teddy aguila,especially in team tournaments. what's important is, they cannot buy the meralco team. you're right, we can't prove these scams, and the fixers will just deny, like what they did in the press lately. why suspend them? let them play, these fixers or networkers, and let us beat them fair and square! and how are we going to do that? thru our future GM Wesley So! Mga networkers at fixers, hindi nyo kayang bilhin si wesley, si mang william at si aling eleanor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello po!

    I'm a student from De la Salle University-DasmariƱas. I'm a part of the student publication po and I was tasked to write an article about the state of chess in the Philippines. I have to admit that I'm clueless about chess although I did research but I guess it isnt enough. Can I interview you po? Kahit po sa email lang?

    eto po email ads ko:

    jecoup@gmail.com
    jecoup@hotmail.com

    ]Maraming salamat po

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great information. Lucky me I recently found your website by chance
    (stumbleupon). I have book marked it for later!
    Have a look at my site : Read This

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Free Internet Chess Server

FICS: Free Internet Chess Server